Memberships(and what you get)
As a trainee, you probably have to join some kind of association (trainees lucky enough to get a placement with a BACP organisational membership may not have to, which might save you some pounds. But for those who do: The two main ones are UKCP and BACP. You won’t need me to tell you that. Whilst anyone in training can join BACP as a student/trainee, unless you’re on a UKCP course, you can’t join UKCP except as an ‘affiliate’ member. Aside from those two, there are a number of other groups that might be useful to join/be aware of 🙂 Starting with the two ‘recommended’ ones:
- UKCP: Trainee membership costs you £67 annually(student membership, which you can only have until you see clients is £37), and for that you can get cheap insurance (from £10 a year). You also get a regular magazine: The PSychotherapist, with a cross-modal focus (I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything directly ‘person-centred’-related in it, but it’s interesting nonetheless.
- BACP: Student membership is £74 and is designed to be the same whether you are seeing clients or not. For that, you receive a regular magazine: Therapy Today – parts of which you can view free online. You also get free electronic access to their research journal: Counselling and Psychotherapy Research (link goes to the free copy). You also get discounted entry to the various events that they organise.
- ADPCA: Association for the development of the person-centred approach are a person-centred organisation. Their student membership is $15/£10, and their standard membership is $30/£20. For that you get their Person-centred journal once a year, and their newsletter. You also get discounted rates to the bi-annual conference, which is often in USA
- BAPCA British association for the person-centred approach are a UK person-centred organisation. Student membership is £45/year, although it doesn’t say it on the main page – it does when you click through. For that you get a regular BAPCA newsletter, and a paper copy of PCEP journal (link goes to free copy). If you want electronic access, you can pay an extra £17/year to upgrade to it. You also get discounted rates for the bi-annual conference, often held in the Midlands (UK).
- WAPCEPC World association for person centered and experiential psychotherapy and counseling are (as the name says) an international membership organisation. Student membership is 30 euros/£25, or if you are a BAPCA member, 20 euros/£16.50. For this you get electronic access to PCEP, a newsletter 3x a year and a 50 euro/£41 reduction on the PCE conference price. The conference is held at various international locations bi-annually on opposite years to the BAPCA conference.
- ACC Association of christian counsellors are a multi-modal group (not just person-centred). Student membership is £35. For this you get a magazine four times a year
- BAATN Black and Asian therapists’ network are also multi-modal. Student membership is £20 and for this you get a newsletter (and the chance to advertise in it if you wish) and access to student support groups. There is also a member’s area online and an annual conference, that you will get a 10% reduction on.
- PCSR Psychotherapists and counsellors for social responsibility is for anyone (therapist or not) who has an interest in politics or social responsibility. Student rate is £30/year and for this you get online access to the journal Psychotherapy and politics international and also the association’s own in-house magazine. You can however, join the website and take part in online conversations for free.
- Pink Therapy is a FREE organisation that is the largest independent organisation working with sexual and gender diversity clients. They have a regular newsletter and a facebook group. As well as this, they put on an annual conference with a general theme of gender, sexual or relationship diversity (2014 conference was Trans*, 2013 was lesbian) with discounts available to students.
Are there any I’ve missed?
- PCSR – Taboo Conference (eugenebaatn.wordpress.com)
- Working with Shame and Identity (creativityfromwithin.wordpress.com)
- conference-going (traineetherapist.wordpress.com)